Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Too much WATER!


On the fateful friday night of July 5th Robert and I decided to work in the yard a bit, painting the pool fence to be exact.  We ran out of paint and so he went inside to get more.  About the time he got to the garage I heard a yell...not sure what he yelled but I could tell it was bad.

And bad it was...


Apparently one of our children went to the bathroom while we were outside, plugged the sink and forgot to turn off the water.  When I was hysterically crying/screaming who did this, (not my proudest moment as a mom) none of the kids confessed.  After that I realized that I didn't need to know or want to know.  My bad attitude for the duration of the fans was enough punishment for EVERYONE!

Seeing all the water everywhere literally made me sick...and VERY emotional.  I cried for DAYS...truly I did.  I was a mess!


The next day I pulled myself together to make some phone calls and found a good flood company to call.  FYI: I highly recommend them: Phoenix Flood.  Let me know if you need their number...but I hope you never do!  Well he came out and used his special instruments to figure out just how far the water went and it went much farther than we thought!

The flood originated in the kids bathroom upstairs, went under their tile, into the garage below, out into the hallway, into the master bedroom clear to the master bath, it also went under the bathroom wall into the master bath, under the tub and under some tile. 

We gave him the go ahead to start his work and he started the process of ripping apart and drying out our house.  (FYI: he gave us the diy tips for if it happens again...which it better not!)




Part of the garage ceiling had to go



As a parting gift he left us with 2 dehumidifiers and 7, SEVEN LOUD fans.  Some of which were aimed under the carpet and made it bubble up, the kids loved that.  I just got mad when they found joy in the situation...I still was an emotional mess!

  

So... on to the repairs!

Let's begin with the Kids Bathroom:
We hired Robert's Uncle to come and fix the tile.  So he started by ripping out the rest of the tiles and laying down hardy backer.  


 We picked out new tile and he laid it beautifully!  


We found a bathroom cabinet at a local place called Stardust that sells used cabinets.  It was $30 and is nicer than the one we had before.  

We installed the sink it's finally done!

Next up, the Master Bedroom:
 The carpet had to go.

We picked out dark hard wood/laminate flooring.  Michael loved playing hockey in the open space.

I requested no seam at the closet, Robert did a wonderful job!

Beautiful, I love it!

Here's the boy's room:  
Their carpet didn't actually get wet but it is 20 year old carpet so we decided to replace it with the same wood floor as the master bedroom.

Check out those angles! 
We painted the room, added stripes and bought the boys new sheets. Here is James vacuuming up after finishing the room. 


The girls room wasn't affected by the flood however we decided to spruce up their room with a new hello sign.

We also decided to update our door hardware with spray paint.  Here's the before:
 And the after:

If you were wondering it has been a few months since we did and they are holding up great!

All that was left is the carpet. And that was no experience I care to ever repeat.  We picked the wrong flooring company and ended up very unhappy and had to pick a new carpet company in the end...long story. 

Waiting for the (second) carpet company to come install the new carpet.

After all the carpet drama here is the finished carpet. FYI:  It is not that pink/purple in person. 

 Two months after "the incident" occurred we finally finished fixing up the house!  It is nice to have it all back normal. Let's not ever, ever, ever do that again!

No comments: