Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Ahhh....New Fabric!

I have been patiently waiting for JoAnn's to have a 50% off sale on their clearance fabric...I know you may be thinking, they are already on clearance--just buy it! But I'm a bit cheap and try not to spent too much on fabric. Don't worry the wait was totally worth it! I bought some really cute fabric for pretty cheap; $1 to $2 per yard!

I can't wait to begin sewing a lap size quilt out of these four fabrics.  The bottom fabric will be the back of the quilt.  It's going to be a gift, I hope they like it!! It will be lightweight and machine quilted.


I'm excited that I found two more (pink and blue) to match my color scheme I picked out about a year ago. Someday I'll have enough to start my quilt.  It takes awhile to get enough to make a queen size quilt when you only buy remnants or 50% off clearance fabrics. 


I just finished this quilt top and I'm contemplating what to do for the back. I want it to be interesting to look at too so I can flip it over if I want a change. My goal with this quilt was to use up as many scraps as possible but I didn't want to do a traditional square patchwork quilt. I cut all the colored pieces 4 inches wide but I varied the height, it made it kind of challenging to put together but I love the randomness of it.  When it's finished it will be queen size and machine quilted in lines parallel to the colored stripes.  Robert keeps reminding me that we live in Arizona where quilts are unnecessary for 3/4 of every year.

This was the first quilt that I machine quilted (all others before this one I tied with yarn).  I am now addicted to machine quilting!  The fabric puckering and puffing up just makes me smile. The pattern is out of the book called The Modern Quilt Workshop and is called Love Beads if I remember correctly. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fabric is nice. Your quilt is beautiful. And I find that quilts are still useful all year round--just close the windows and turn up the AC :D. I too am addicted to machine quilting--it's the binding that takes me quite some time to finish.

We totally should have an eating fest/play date and soon. I'll call you next week sometime for sure!

Keep up the great crafting! I love it. The quilt back looks awesome!

Melanie M. McKinnon said...

i envy your talents and creativity. :)