Thursday night we camped in the White Mountains. The views were beautiful!
I liked all the Aspen trees mingled with the Pine trees.
With the driving, it took Chelsea a little while to get comfortable...
Eventually she figured it out.
Friday we packed up camp and drove to the Petrified Forest
And we drove through the Painted Desert
For our next stop we camped near Mormon Lake (South of Flagstaff, AZ)
Building campfires are ALWAYS a highlight for the boys!
For $1 glow sticks make a great after dark and in the tent activity that the kids always look forward to.
Saturday we went to the Grand Falls (about 20 miles North of Flagstaff, AZ)
You get there by driving on a dirt road in a mostly flat area and then go on a smaller dirt path up over a little hill and then, there it is...a lot of water that looks like chocolate milk falling into a canyon about 200 feet down! The mist coming off of it was so dirty that EVERYONE and EVERYTHING was muddy and dirty when we left, including the outside and INSIDE of our Expedition. (Not looking forward to cleaning that up!)
Gotta love self portraits!
We then drove to Sedona, Arizona via the 89A.
It was one of the most beautiful drives I think I have ever been on. All the vivid green vegetation next to the red rocks was breath taking.
Last stop on our journey of Arizona: Jerome, AZ. (West of Sedona, AZ)
Jerome once was a busy mining town, but then the Great Depression hit and it was abandoned. Then it started to slide down the mountain due to the fact that it is set on a slope of about 30 degrees and on a fault line. It later turned into a tourist attraction, which is what it is now. I was nervous just driving in the town, I don't know why anyone would want to live there with such a steep mountainside. So many of the homes were one story on one side and then on the other side it was three story just to accommodate the slope of the mountain.
On a side note, I won't be listening to the channel 5 weather man any more. He said that Arizona would have a chance of "isolated" rain showers on Saturday. It rained, not a little but A LOT on Thursday night. Luckily it only rained a little inside the tent... Friday it rained on us most of the day and then that night it cleared up in time for us to set up camp and then it lightly rained for most of the night, until it started raining harder... Everything was muddy at breakfast but at least it didn't rain on us until after breakfast ended and we began to clean up. More rain all day Saturday until we got to the Phoenix valley....But don't worry, that night after we set up our tent so it could dry out it began to rain again... Isolated showers...right! Perhaps they were isolated to wherever we were!
But I'm happy to announce that rain or shine we had a really great time!!
2 comments:
What an awesome camping trip. I'm glad you still had a great time even if it rained. That's crazy about the town and its slope. Fun picture though.
I'll also have to try the glow stick idea the next time we're in a tent.
I love Jerome. Did you get to go to the outdoor museum thing with all the old stuff? Sean, my brother and I all agreed it was the cheapest fun we'd had in a long time when we went. I want to take my dad sometime. I wouldn't want to live up there either though!
Post a Comment