Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

Allergies...and food

Interesting things have come about since I decided to go Gluten Free (GF)  There are certain things that naturally are cut from your diet, peanut butter and jelly sandiches are one for example.

A few weeks ago Michael broke out into a rash/hives.  It wasn't fun.  Here's the story and the results:




We took him to the Dr. and the Dr. said it was an allergic reaction to something.  They did a blood test and also suggested we look into an elimination diet and/or the Feingold Program/Diet.  The purpose of these diets is to remove many of the foods and additives that children react negatively to, then after a period of time they can challenge the food (have one) to see if there is a negative reaction to it such as acting out, aggression, inability to concentrate, rash, etc.

The blood test came back, Michael is allergic to Peanuts, Fish and Soy Beans.  (His hives/rash were caused by the peanut butter and jelly sandwich he had the day before)  We were really surprised!  He was sad he wouldn't be able to eat fish any more, and asked if I could make fish without fish for him...I'm still trying to figure out how to pull that one off...  Any way, his blood test also suggested that he may be allergic to more things that the general test didn't show so we will now be taking him to an allergy specialist to figure everything out. 

In the mean time after much discussion we decided to go with the Feingold Program

To sum it we will not be eating:

Gluten
Soy
Fish
Peanuts
Artificial Sugars (splenda, sweet n low etc)
Artificial Flavors (including imitation vanilla)
Artificial Colors
Artificial Preservitives (BHT, BHA & TBHQ)

I know it will be a bit of a challenge but I know that it will be good for us.  So, that is that!  We are looking forward to our visit to the allergy specialist to see if there is anything else that we need to be aware of.

I know that for many people it sounds drastic and possibly even unhealthy or un-do-able to cut out all these things but we feel like this is the best thing for our family right now and would appreciate your understanding and support.  When it comes to giving treats to us as a family or to our children, we ask that you give non food items for now.  The ENTIRE family is on this "diet" to make it fair for everyone and even things you would think are ok really aren't.  Thanks for your understanding! 

Update:  we have now been on the Feingold program for about 2 weeks and it is going really well!  I have seen many improvements in all the kids attitudes and the aggression level in the house has gone down.  It is still hard but to figure out meals but it is also hard to have out of control kids.  So for now I'll take the challenge of food and have better behaved kids. 

1 comment:

M Taylor said...

Good for you in doing what is best for your family. It is difficult to make such adjustments since food is such a big part of our lives, but if it means good health overall for your children then by golly you should totally do it. I'm glad things are improving as you've made these switches.